Rock the Parkway Race Recap

It’s time for a race recap! As I posted on Facebook and Twitter after the race, I’m not sure if I Rocked the Parkway, or if the Parkway Rocked me! Alas, the Rock the Parkway Half Marathon happened this past weekend, and now I am here to tell you all about it!

Thursday after work, my running buddy Amy and I went to the expo to pick up our packets and check out all the booths.  Packet pick up was quick and easy, and we learned about lots of fun upcoming races and saw other booths like clothes, sunglasses, and food.

Photo Apr 13, 5 45 32 PM

Photo Apr 09, 5 28 51 PM

My parents came to town Friday evening, and I gave mom her packet and a couple shirts I picked up from the KC Running Company booth.  We ate dinner and set out our clothes for our 5:00am wake up call.

Photo Apr 10, 9 15 53 PM

We drove to Ward Parkway Shopping Center and met up with some of the KCRC Groupies at 6:30 before the race started at 7:30.  The Rock the Parkway Half Marathon was my 3rd half marathon, my  Mom’s third half marathon, and Amy’s third half marathon.  It was Mark’s second, Emily’s first, and John’s 20-something-th half marathon.  We took a few pictures, used the restrooms, and walked about 3/4 mile to the starting line.

Photo Apr 11, 6 51 10 AM

Photo Apr 11, 11 32 53 AM

Left to Right: Emily, Mom, John, Me, Mark, and Amy. MY GROUPIES! Photo courtesy of Amy Kanarek.

Photo Apr 11, 6 51 55 AM

Photo courtesy of

Photo courtesy of

Let’s get down to business.  If only the entire race could have felt like the first 4 miles felt.  The first 4 were great.  I was cruising, I was feeling good, I was hanging with a pace group, and I was rocking the parkway! If only the entire race could have felt like that… if only.

Last weekend, I moved across town, and my allergies have been out of control the past couple weeks. A little less than a week ago, I started coughing, and by race day, my cough was pretty bad, and it felt like my lungs rattled when I coughed.  Race morning, I felt okay, but knew I was sick.  At about the 4 mile mark, I started deteriorating.

Photo courtesy of

Photo courtesy of

My pace has definitely improved over the last several months, I’d say I have dropped about 30-40 seconds off my “easy” pace.  At mile 4, I started running/walking/running, alternating depending on how well I could breathe, whether or not the hills felt okay, and where the water stops were.  I walked WAY more than I wanted to.  My ultimate goal is still to RUN a half marathon with no walking, or just walking through the water stations.  Rock the Parkway was not the half marathon that I would accomplish that.

Photo courtesy of

Photo courtesy of

The course itself was beautiful.  We started at the Burns and McDonnell building on 94th and Ward Parkway, and ran North on Ward Parkway to Loose Park, around the park, and back down Ward Parkway to finish at Burns and McDonnell.  The water/gatorade stations were well placed and smoothly run, there were port-a-potties at a few of the water stops, and the spectators were great! I saw tons of funny signs, there were lots of kids giving high fives, and there were even a few live bands along the course.  The police and volunteers did a great job making sure traffic yielded to the runners, and made sure everyone stayed on course and stayed safe.

Photo courtesy of

Photo courtesy of

I finished about 9 minutes slower than my PR, and about 19 minutes slower than my goal for this race.  I was bummed while running, once I got to the point where I knew I wouldn’t reach my goal, and then got bummed some more when my PR went out the window, but I know that it’s not about the finish time, it’s about the finish line.  I got to the finish line, and I was sure glad to see it.  I was pooped.

Photo courtesy of

Photo courtesy of

My Dad and Amy were there cheering me across the finish, and I promptly received my amazing medal, and a volunteer clipped my timing chip off my foot, and I was handed a water bottle.  Later, after Mom finished, we got some chocolate milk and printed off our finish time slips.

I also ran into Steph after the race, she went to school with my little sister.  We all took a few pictures, and then Dad went to pick up the car so we wouldn’t have to walk 3/4 mile back to the parking lot.  Thanks Dad =)

Photo Apr 11, 10 59 21 AM

Photo Apr 11, 11 03 24 AM

Photo Apr 11, 10 59 51 AM

Photo Apr 12, 8 42 07 PM

Photo courtesy of Steph Stremel.

After we got home, we showered and laid around a bit, then ran some errands.  My calves and hips were pretty achy right away, and after a few hours, my hips and butt were really the only sore spots. I wore my calf sleeves for the rest of the day, and besides my coughing and head cold, I felt pretty good.

Sunday, it rained most of the morning, but we wanted to be sure to get a shake out run in.  Once the rain let up, we drove to Leawood City Park, and Dad fished a bit while Mom and I ran/walked to shake out our legs.

Photo Apr 12, 4 15 14 PM

Photo Apr 12, 5 26 11 PM

Photo Apr 12, 4 47 18 PM

Photo Apr 12, 5 41 17 PM

Overall, I am really glad I ran this race, it is one of the largest half marathons in the Midwest, and certainly one of the most well-run races I’ve been a part of.  All of the Groupies had good races, and John and Mark are doing the Heartland 39.3 series, meaning they have to run another half marathon next weekend, and third half marathon 2 weeks after that!

1 year ago was my first half marathon, and last fall was my second.  I know my pace has improved drastically since my first half marathon just 1 year ago, and under better circumstances, I think this race could have been a much faster time.

Photo Apr 12, 9 05 42 PM

I’m proud of myself for completing it with the stress I have in my life right now, and with the head cold I’ve been battling.  It certainly would have been easier to just drop out!  I’m proud of my Mom for finishing her 3rd half marathon, she did great! I’m thankful to my Dad for spectating and cheering and helping out.  I’m also thankful for my running group, and for the Groupies I train with every week.  I couldn’t have done it without everyone’s support!

Also, a HUGE congratulations to my sister and her Team Sparkle Ragnar Relay team to Fight to End Rett Syndrome.  Maybe I will convince Kristen to write a race recap and post it. =)

Did you race this past weekend?

13 thoughts on “Rock the Parkway Race Recap

  1. You should be very proud of yourself! Running with a head cold is terribly hard. You’ll get your PR soon, I know it.

  2. Pingback: Thursday Thoughts: April 16 | My Brave Wings

  3. Pingback: I’m Allergic to All the Things | My Brave Wings

  4. Pingback: Thursday Thoughts: April 23 | My Brave Wings

  5. Pingback: April Roundup | My Brave Wings

  6. Pingback: Scout Strong Challenge Race Recap | My Brave Wings

  7. Pingback: Hospital Hill Half Marathon Race Recap | My Brave Wings

  8. Pingback: Hospital Hill Half Marathon 2016 | My Brave Wings

Leave a Reply for Me!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s