On July 4, I ran the Four on the 4th race in Kansas City. For the past 3 years, I have ran a race on or around July 4. In Hays, the Wild West 5k is on the Saturday around the 4th of July. Since I was not in Hays (OMG I still can’t believe I live in KC now!), I had to find a new race! I ran the Ward Parkway Four (Miler) on the 4th. It was a blast! A hilly, humid, hot blast, but a BLAST!
For comparison’s sake, I believe last year the Hays 5k had about 300 people running/walking. In KC this year, I think there were just over 1000. CRAZY amount of people. Also, in Hays, the elevation gain is super tiny, and there 2-3 big hills, and a couple smaller hills at the KC race.
Needless to say, my body is going to acclimate to hills very fast, or I will die.
This race was my second run in KC since I moved last week. I also ran last night, and have been taking it a little easy, because I didn’t run a lot in June (because of the packing and the move), and I am not used to the severe humidity or hills. I am glad I did this race, I met a lot of cool people, had a good fun run, and was able to take part in a 4th of July run for the 3rd straight year.
Things I learned while doing this race:
1. Fitness is lost FAST. I skipped a ton of runs in June due to limited time while packing, moving, and traveling back and forth. I managed to get almost 40 miles in for June, but I was hoping for closer to 100. I can definitely tell I ran less.
2. I need to get in some serious hill practice.
3. I shouldn’t wear my hair in pig tails. Cute in theory, but a hassle when they stick to my neck. And they don’t look cute when I’m all sweaty.
4. I need a flag shirt (sorry Mom, I always hated them growing up, but now I ‘d really like one!)
5. Runners are family. I made some sweaty friends while running, and encouragement, even from a stranger, is awesome. I was really missing my Mom, and running partner, but having such a “family” of runners around made it a little better.
6. The SEE KC RUN fellas are pretty great, and they take really good race pics, FOR FREE! Who does that? Their website is pretty 1990’s, but the guys are a class act, really cool.
And 7. I like race bling. =) Cool medal for finishing the race.
I’ll see you again next year, Four on the 4th! Thanks Garry Gribbles for putting on a great race! Did you run to celebrate the 4th?